The dam, originally designed in 1922, was utilized to impound water to be used at a former steel mill, which was located immediately west of the dam. The design of the dam consisted of a 9.0-ft concrete wall, 3.0-ft thick that was anchored 4.0-ft deep into the creek bottom. The length of the dam is 100-ft. There are two different types of retaining walls with the dam. On the eastern side, there was a concrete base wall that ties into the dam. This concrete base wall is in good condition. Above this base wall there are old railroad ties which form a second retaining wall; these railroad ties were found to be in a condition of significant deterioration.
CEG accessed the dam from the Riverwalk portion of the dam to complete the visual examination of the structural integrity of the dam, and identify any structural defects. CEG also completed and submitted the dam inspection report including the Dam Inspection Checklist forms that are required by PADEP. CEG assessment revealed that the dam was in good condition and structurally functional. CEG provided a list of recommendations which included monitoring of the western crest of the dam to verify for any further wearing or erosion, vegetation growing out of the existing retaining walls be removed and the area stabilized after removal and the railroad tie retaining wall on the Eastern side of the dam should be monitored for further deterioration. Reports were completed and submitted to PADEP who renewed the 2019 permit.